Pumpkin Pancakes with Maple Creme Syrup
• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.
2. In a second large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until blended. Add the pumpkin, yogurt, brown sugar, and vanilla extract, and whisk until combined.
3. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir together gently until just combined and smooth (no dry streaks should remain), taking care not to over mix.
4. Liberally coat a large skillet or griddle with oil spray. preheat it over medium heat. When the pan is nice and hot (after about 2 minutes), ladle about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the
5. Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Recoat the skillet with oil spray between batches to prevent the pancakes from sticking.
6. While the pancakes are cooking, prepare the maple crème: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and maple crème syrup until smooth.
7. To serve, place 2 pancakes on each plate and top them with about 2 tablespoons of the maple crème. Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of the chopped pecans.
8. Note: To toast pecans, place them in a dry sauté pan over medium heat and toast, stirring or shaking the pan frequently, until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Or, spread the nuts out on a toaster oven tray and toast for 3 to 4 minutes.