Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
1. Heat oven to 180oc. Peel the parsnips and cut into sections. Slice the onion into wedges.
2. In a bowl, mix the parsnips and onions then drizzle them with oil, the spices, ginger and garlic, then add the honey crème syrup an mix everything together so the vegetables get coated in all the other flavors. (Really get your hands stuck in there, as Jamie would have it, or you could just use a wooden spoon and not get your hands all sticky…)
3. Roast Onion and parsnip for 30 minutes, until everything is nice and golden brown. Check regularly, so the parsnips don’t burn. You can always add a little more oil if you wish.
4. Remove from the oven and allow everything to cool for a while. Peel and cub the potato and carrot In your soup pan, heat some oil, then fry the carrot and potato until they start to brown.
Then add the stock to the pan, as well as a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Bring the soup to the boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minute, or until all the vegetables are soft Meanwhile, make your parsnip crisps for garnish. Slice a parsnip very thinly – you could use a mandolin, but I just used a vegetable peeler. Coat the strips in oil, season and then the oven on a baking tray, pre-heated to 160oc for 25 minutes, turning half way through. Also, I fried some bacon until crispy to use as a garnish as well 6. Remove from the heat and allow cooling, then blending until smooth, return to the pan and heat through and serve, garnished with the parsnip crisps and crispy bacon. Enjoy!
Chickpea and Tomato Salad with Fresh Basil
• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Toss all ingredients together and chill for at least 20 minutes, allowing all the flavors to merge.